Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Mean Greenie


My step-daughter Diana gifted me her lovely Italian silk plaid blouse when she visited me in the hospital in July 2012. (My depression was so deep I took an overdose and woke up in the hospital a few days later. I stayed for a month.) My husband's love and concern acknowledged, he had no clue as to what things to bring me, especially clothes. Jeans? "Here, honey... yeah, they were my Dad's but..."
So I begged my daughters & my step-daughter to donate to The Clothes Cause. Now, I'm a full-busted lady, a "full-figured gal" a la Jane Russell or Sophia Loren. Perhaps young, very slim girls in their late teens and early twenties have different visions of what the "Older, Full-Figured" style might entail... Diana got it almost right, but the blouse just would not adapt and I tore it. Oops! Time for a summery style skirt and a photo essay on how to make it:
Diana's donated blouse, "bosom-torn"

I carefully removed that lace piece, & set it aside.

I turned the bottom cloth pieces into my first prairie skirt.

My first prairie skirt: "Action photo"

Pinned tube to folded-in-ironed-flat shirt

Sewing done, cute pockets a "plus"

WHAT I'M WEARING TODAY:
  • Thrifted embroidered Moroccan top
  • THE green plaid skirt, cute pockets & all!
  • Gray tights
  • Thrifted red suede loafers

7 comments:

  1. I think its the best one yet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jill,
      Thank you so much - hopefully I'll improve with practice!

      Delete
  2. Love how it turned out. Keep sewing I love seeing the refashions you make.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so very much!! It's rather fun, chopping up old clothes and making new ones out of them.
      Best,
      Rachel

      Delete
  3. These are making groovy wardrobe additions. Whatcha gonna do with the lace?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have any ideas? At this point, no light bulb has gone off re: that lace...
      Best,
      Rachel

      Delete